- Check the Better Business Bureau to make sure the business is even a valid business: www.southernnevada.bbb.org
- Make sure you are using a licensed locksmith. In Las Vegas, Henderson, North Las Vegas, and unincorporated Clark County all locksmiths MUST carry a locksmith work card on them.
- Prior to calling a locksmith, you can verify their locksmith status by visiting the appropriate government website to verify they have a valid license:
- Most good locksmiths will also have properly marked vehicles and should be dressed in professional work clothes that clearly identify the company they work for.
- Note that many locksmiths will state they’re licensed in Nevada. Although a locksmith must be registered with the state, they MUST also be registered with each jurisdiction.
- Check with the Associated Locksmiths of America (ALOA) website to verify the locksmith: www.findalocksmith.com
- Despite all these precautions, you should always be aware that this industry is subject to abuse and tricks. Go with trusted companies. Do not use companies advertised on picked fences, advertising prices that appear to be too cheap, or who refuse to tell you their name or licensing status on the phone.
- Advertise cheap rates on picked fences.
- Put an ALOA or Better Business Bureau logo on their yellow pages ad or on the internet but the links are bad and/or they are not really members.
- Use a brand company’s name on the internet, but change the phone number. Always verify when a locksmith shows up that they are employed by the company you hired.
- Advertise one rate, but charge a different rate once the work is complete. They’ll cite numerous reasons why the price is higher. If you suspect criminal activity, do not pay the charges and call the police immediately.
No, the tools we use are designed specifically for your vehicle. This does not mean that damage cannot be done with the tool. As long as the person using the tool has been properly trained this shouldn't be an issue.
However, certain vehicles that require the use of an "under the window or swan tool" can possibly cause damage to after-market tint. In these instances we suggest inquiring about getting a key made to open. While it may cost a little more it is guaranteed NOT to scratch after-market tint.
Also, be careful of the company you use to open your car. Pop-A-Lock designed special tools to be able to open vehicles without damaging them. These are proprietary tools, so other companies cannot as easily prevent damage when they open the door.Back to Top
Picking the lock to your home or business will not damage the lock. By picking the lock you are simply "decoding" the pattern of your current key and smoothly opening the lock. It is not an easy task and should only be performed by an experienced locksmith who is using the right tools. A good locksmith should also be able to open most padlocks, cabinet locks, trunk locks, fingerprint locks, deadbolts, and any other locking mechanism. Sometimes the lock is damaged or has been tampered with so as to make it impossible to pick. In these instances, the lock will have to be drilled out and a new lock will have to be installed.Back to Top
Re-keying is the process of changing the key configuration of a lock so all existing and/or old keys will no longer work in the lock. People generally have a rekey done if they have lost their keys, want to make sure no old or existing keys will work in the lock, or they want to make sure all the locks in their location use the same key. Rekeying is the cheaper alternative to replacing all of your hardware. To perform the work, all the pins in the lock are changed to fit a new key that we issue to you. Once this process has been done, only the key issued to you will work in the lock.
Note that we can make as many new keys as customers need. We can also change as many locks as requested to use the same key.Back to Top
- You have lost a key to your home or business.
- You do not want a person or employee who has had access previously to be able to open the locks now.
- You have moved into a new home or business.
- You would like for all the keys for your home or business to open using a single key.
- You have purchased a new lock and want all the other locks to use the same key.
A bump proof lock is a type of high security lock for your home or business that cannot be opened with conventional lock bypass tools. These locks were created because criminals and other illicit individuals were buying bump-keys on the internet and gaining access very easily to most locks. Bump keys will not work on a bump proof lock.Back to Top
The most secure lock for your home should be discussed with your local trusted locksmith. It will vary upon need and budget. There are lots of things that are not extremely costly that can help you better secure your home or business. Pop-A-Lock has offerings that should meet the spectrum of your needs from most cost-effective to highest performance, most-secure lock.
It is also important to know that securing a home involves more than just installing high-quality locks. Your locksmith will be able to advise you best on these other needs.Back to Top
First contact a local trusted locksmith to discuss your personal concerns and needs. an easy evaluation of your home and entry points will be needed to asess the level of security you need.Back to Top
Why is it that often locksmiths are known for charging a lot more to open my locks than they quoted?
Well there is 2 reasons why this happens. First is scammers.. They are unlicensed, self proclaimed locksmiths that prey on innocent people in desperate need. And then there is the problem of not being always able to exactly diagnose your specific problem over the phone. I believe a reputable company will quote their service fee and a most likely price for repair due to thier personal experiences but can only accuratly give price after seeing your exact problem first hand. They should be able to offer a price range with worse case scenario. Scammers say 1 low price so they can use intimadation factor once they are at your home or vehicle.Back to Top
Do children and other people really get locked in cars? How does that happen? Are they negligent people?
Believe it or not, this situation happens more often than you might expect. It’s not uncommon for us to see 10 or more of these calls on any given day, and though we have responded to a few child neglect cases for the most part the situations we come across could happen to anyone.Many vehicles today are self-locking. Situations we have seen that cause a child, senior, or other person to be locked inside a vehicle would be:
- Having the wind blow a door closed and having it lock.
- Following a routine of shutting off the car, hitting the lock button, and closing the driver side door not realizing you left the keys in the ignition and the child in the backseat!
- You get a distracting call on your cell phone about some emergency and again perhaps close a trunk while getting a stroller out of it not realizing the keys are in the trunk and all the doors are locked!
You should call 911 immediately. They will forward you to the fire department who will dispatch Pop-A-Lock anywhere in Las Vegas, Henderson, North Las Vegas, or Boulder City.
Through our Emergency Door Unlock program we will unlock a car or home if a child, senior, or any person’s life is in danger for free.Back to Top
The safest thing is to call your local locksmith company for a free estimate on repairing or replacing the ignition cylinder. DO NOT attempt to force ignition over as you may break the key off costing you more money. We at Pop-A-Lock can repair / replace most ignition cylinders and keep these cylinders in stock on the most problematic vehicles.Back to Top
The price will vary depending on year, make, and model. If the car locks have been changed or re-keyed this will also affect the price. Most single key system vehicles in original factory condition cost about $125 to generate a key. Most two key system vehicles in original factory condition cost about $175 to generate a door and ignition key. If the vehicle is transponder equipped the price can range from $165-$225 on up.
We can also cut and program remote key / key combos as well as Inteli-key (push button start) equipped vehicles, but please contact us for an exact price on those vehicles. If your vehicle takes a high security key as do a Lexus or Volkswagen these keys can range from $175 - $265 depending on year, make and model.
Prices change and all vehicles are different, so you should always feel free to contact us anytime for an exact estimate for your vehicle.Back to Top
Vehicle security like everything else is constantly evolving. Most late model vehicles are now equipped with a type of anti-theft system called transponders. Some vehicles don't even use a conventional key and lock system, but instead use an electronic key fob. In order to program these types of keys / fobs we as locksmiths have to invest in the equipment and training to generate working keys / fobs for these vehicles. Also, the key blanks and fobs themselves are a lot more expensive than your standard metal key blank.Back to Top
A transponder key is a type of anti-theft device for your vehicle. Basically it is a chip that is embedded in the head of your key (which is not visible) that receives a signal from your vehicles computer upon starting your car. If the digital signature from the computer & key match your vehicle will start. There are several ways manufacturers disable vehicles that are transponder equipped including disabling starter circuit & fuel pump just to name a few. We are your one stop shop for transponder keys as this is our specialty. You may also want to check with your insurance company as some give rate deductions for transponder equipped vehicles.Back to Top
This is 100% incorrect. The fact is that most experienced locksmiths should be able to generate a key for almost any car as long as they have the proper equipment, machines, and training. Dealerships will tell their customers this because they want you to go through them. Also, if your vehicle happens to be transponder-equipped you must tow your vehicle to the dealer to get the key made wasting time and money. By calling a licensed locksmith, you can have someone come directly to your location.Back to Top
An onsite battery installation is a service we provide where a local Pop-A-Lock expert will come to your location wherever you may be in the Las Vegas Valley and replace your battery on-site. As an additional service, we will take your old battery, or core, with us since often these batteries leak and can cause damage to your vehicle.Back to Top
if your car battery is still under warranty with the dealership in which you purchased the vehicle it could be worth your while to get a jumpstart and drive it in but i first reccomend you call them with your vin # handy and ask them what the price will be , even under warranty the battery is prorated and could end up costing you as much as an aftermarket battery which is made to the exact specifications of your car. not to mention all time time youll have to wait at the dealership while its in for service.while we do an onsite battery replacement we always start off with a free , no obligation evaluation of your battery and charging system using state of the art testing equipment.Back to Top